Even though this year’s Valentine’s Day has passed, I wanted to recap a fun exercise that took place at last week’s February 2012 Florida Public Relations Association meeting here at Southeastern University.
I asked attendees and our speaker to grab a packet of candy conversation hearts and answer the following question: How is PR similar to some of the messages on the conversation hearts?
I used Poll Everywhere to track the answers and here’s what we came up with:
- “TOO COOL- PR pros are up on the latest technology and social media!”
- “DON’T TELL: Sometimes covering up a crisis isn’t the best route to go.”
- “MY BOY – it’s all about relationships! Create them”
- “SEE YA: You’ll need to say ‘goodbye’ to those bad grammar and spelling habits and learn the in’s and out’s of AP Style.”
- “LOL – sometimes you need to have a good laugh through the stress”
- “I LOVE YOU: PR pro’s need journalists to love them because it’s a group effort when it comes to working with and through the media.”
- “DARE YA- PR stunts can be risky. But may be beneficial”
- “YOU ROCK- give credit where credit is due, and always let people know if you appreciate or like something they said or did”
- “BE TRUE – make sure the facts are right!”
- “I’M SURE- you might not always ‘be sure’ in PR, but u need to act like you are confident”
I hope you took something away from just a small list of the ways that PR is similar to conversation heart messages. What are some other ways that they relate?